It is believed that it was in Africa that life on planet earth arose. There, on the gigantic continent, history began, which is why it is known as: the cradle of humanity.
The great continent of the planet, which some call the "forgotten continent", is the richest in the world in terms of history, natural resources, unique and wild animals, ecosystems, curiosities, and an incredible ethnic wealth.
Fun facts you should know about this great continent: Africa
To celebrate this May 25 Africa Day, we propose some of the most striking curiosities about this immense continent full of stories, mysteries and secrets.
- Africa is made up of 55 countries which are home to more than 1200 million people, which represents approximately 15% of the total world population. Most are young people.
- In the region of Al'Aziziyah, Libya, there is the hottest region on the planet. There, the record for the thermometer has reached 58 degrees Celsius.
- Africa is the largest producer of diamonds. Currently, half of the world's production of this expensive gem comes from there.
- The most visited places from Africa are:
- Johannesburg, in South Africa.
- Cairo in Egypt
- Laos, in Nigeria.
- Dakar in Senegal
- Casablanca, in Morocco
- Accra in Ghana or Nairobi, the capital of Kenya
- Ghana was the Africa's first independent country Sub-Saharan, as it became independent in 1957 from the United Kingdom.
- In Africa there are 10 poorest countries in the world. There are 300 million people living in extreme poverty on the continent.
- Islam and Christianity are the two most practiced religions by the Africans. Religion is one of the most recognized and striking elements of that continent.
- The largest desert in the world it's in Africa. We are talking about the Sahara desert that covers a quarter of the continent.
- In Africa there is one of the more developed territories in terms of economy, diversification, natural resources etc. We are talking about the Seychelles Islands, which also have the highest Human Development Index on the continent.
- On the African continent there are the most dangerous animals in the world: the elephant, the buffalo, the lion, the leopard and the rhinoceros.
If you are curious you can also continue reading: Why is Africa Day celebrated on May 25? Click here to read