The Caimito or its scientific name, Chrysophyllum cainito, is a fruit tree, it belongs to the sapotáceas family, of medium height, leafy, with very green leaves and with an edible fruit that can be greenish, purple or bluish whose white pulp is sweet, juicy and somewhat astringent.
The ripe fruit, preferably refrigerated, is divided in half and the dough is eaten with a spoon, leaving the seeds out, which is a food rich in vitamins and minerals, and therefore very healthy to maintain a healthy diet.
Properties and medicinal powers of star apple
The star apple is recognized worldwide for its innumerable healing properties. Let's see some:
- The dark brown seed of the star apple fruit in oil is used for friction to relieve muscle aches.
- The powdered seed is taken as a tonic, diuretic, and febrifuge.
- The bark in tonic is used to relieve chest pain, as a stimulant and to stop diarrhea, dysentery and bleeding.
- The ripe fruit, as shown by medical botanical studies, is eaten to calm inflammation in laryngitis and pneumonia.
- It is also included in the treatment for diabetes mellitus, and as a decoction to relieve angina pectoris.
- With this fruit you can alleviate intestinal disorders, although in excess, they cause constipation.
- The cooking of its leaves is a good expectorant.
- The latex of the tree is applied on the abscesses and is a powerful vermifuge.
Magical and religious uses of Caimito
In African religious expressions, each stick has a magical use and function and the caimito is one of the most used components in the sorcery practiced in the Rules of Palo Monte, Mayombe and Kimbisa.
The Caimito religiously called in the Lucumí language: Asán and Allécofole and in Congo: Ennúa or Yeré; It is a plant that corresponds in the Rule of Ocha (Santeria) to the goddess of storms, the rainbow and the spark, the Orisha Oyá, who likes to consume it as an offering.
It is also one of the strongest clubs in the Regla de Palo Monte Mayombe. In both religious expressions it is used to cover up or transform the one who needs to flee.
Likewise, the star apple is used in cleansing and spiritual baths to ward off bad energies and is worn as an amulet for the same purpose.
It is miraculous because it makes what they do not want you to see, since its leaves as they say “has two faces”On the one hand, they are green and on the other hand they are Carmelite. Those people who are hypocrites are compared to the star apple leaf.